Dangerous things happen when flights are delayed

I am currently stuck in Chicago, and have been for the last several hours. To an action-oriented person like myself free hours feel like they are taffy-time - stretched beyond any point of recognition of what they originally were.

This means that I have uninterrupted opportunity to mentally operationalise some plans. Mental operationalisation is somewhat oxymoronic, and I will need to explain that at another time. Also, I don't mean to use spelling that would more likely be found in other countries but a certain letter on this laptop is not working (the letter after 'y') and so I can't spell things in the way I normally would.

Anyway, I spent some time thinking about occupational therapy 2.0, which of course is stolen from the web 2.0 lingo which I actually kind of think is funny. Again, a story for another time. Anyway, it is time for occupational therapy 2.0. The blog was the first foray for me into the 2.0 world, and I have talked about the power of social networking on the blog in the past. Now it is time to take a larger step into the open source world, or at least invite the open source OT world to start behaving in a more 'open source' mode. I wonder if it will work.

I had an idea a couple years ago for an open database project (secured, of course - and participation after approved application, of course) for a certain assessment instrument. The open source format would have allowed us to collect a tremendous amount of raw data that could be used for research purposes. At the time, I couldn't get the authors interested, or the publisher interested. There were too many proprietary interests in the way, and that is kind of unfortunate - because it would be a good format for knowledge generation.

I need to dust off this concept again, and begin to apply it to open source data collection in the OT world. There is a wealth of information that exists in unpublished manuscripts, half-baked ideas, and even full baked ideas that have not been put to the rigors of traditional peer review. Knowledge collection facilitates knowledge creation. That will be the working policy.

I'll post more of the details soon. It is an opportunity and a fun idea. Will you join me??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deconstructing the myth of clothing sensitivity as a 'sensory processing disorder'

On retained primitive reflexes

Twenty years of SIPT - where do we go next?