A Motion to Update Policy E.6 Entry-Level Education of Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapy Assistants
I am receiving email asking for assistance in drafting specific language for RA Motions related to the entry level educational mandates. Here are my suggestions - please work with your RA representatives and each other to coordinate efforts.
II. BODY OF MOTION:
· 1. The RA is directly responsible for establishing professional standards and policies as stated in AOTA Articles of Incorporation.
2. The existing policy does not address the dual level of entry for OTA practice. Also, the previous Policy as written was not followed by the Association and did not explicate the parameters under which the Association should promote and assist educational programs, which contributed to overreach by ACOTE who unduly attempted to circumvent Association policy with escalated educational requirements.
3. This motion clearly limits any other associated functional group within the Association from circumventing the RA, which is the body responsible for establishing professional standards and policies – including the establishment of entry level standards for entry to the profession.
(See ‘FAQs from AOTA’s Board of Directors on the OT and OTA Mandates’ and ‘Education Mandates Background Materials,’ specifically the ‘Board Memos to ACOTE’ after 7/12/18 meeting and 8/14/18).
4. The proposed policy supports AOTA Vision 2025 by ensuring a diverse and appropriately trained workforce that is able to promote health, well-being, and quality of life.
5. The proposed policy is specifically related to Strategic Priority Goal #2: Prepare and develop the profession.
1. AOTA Staff (e.g., number of staff, lawyers, consultants, authors, and/or subject matter experts). AOTA staff will require appropriate training on the Policy to ensure that functional units within the Association do not act in contravention of Association policy.